In this post, I want to share some quick, easy tips to eat well without it being a hassle. Here are some easy tips to get you started:
1. Learn to really listen to your body. Eat slower, and stop when you are beginning to get full. Save the rest for later.
2. Eat more frequently, it’s better to snack on smaller meals 5-6 times per day rather than the three large meals (you ARE eating breakfast, right?)
3. Try to make each meal a composition of slow carbohydrates, protein and healthy fats. E.g. A hearty lentil soup, apple with raw nuts, fish and salad, etc.
4. Eat a small something before and after you work out.
- Pre-workout: something easy to digest and carbohydrate rich, like a smoothie about a half hour before
- Post-workout: immediately or within the hour, have a protein and carbohydrate rich snack like a protein granola bar
5. Don’t think you need to cut out everything that’s delicious, but limit consumption of treats (e.g. a slice of cake, coke, etc.) to once day per week.
6. Limit eating processed foods, and foods with high sugar and salt content.
7. Don’t forget your fluids – keep your water bottle around and drink throughout the day as you get thirsty.