Welcome to part 3 of healthy, cost-conscious, portable recipes to try out. This week, here’s a delicious, healthy snack to munch on.
Salt & Vinegar Chickpeas
- Chickpeas (2.5 cups canned or 1 cup dry)
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
1. If the chickpeas are unsoaked, take the dry chickpeas and soak for 8 hours.
2. Boil the chickpeas with 1/2 cup of white vinegar until chickpeas are soft (10-15 minutes). To accelerate the process, I’ve used a pressure cooker instead.
3. Strain the chickpeas.
4. Mix the olive oil, remaining white vinegar and salt together in a bowl.
5. Spread the chickpeas on a cookie sheet, and pour the mixture over them. Bake in the oven at 350F for 20 minutes. You may hear some of the chickpeas “pop”, these will be crisp!
Here’s the finished result! Take them in little ziploc or snack bags. These are high in protein, low in fat and will tide your hunger pangs over.