It is one thing to have an excessive amount of anything, especially alcohol – but special occasions every once in awhile are always welcome for celebration.
I think this is justifying some things… but did you know stout beer actually contains antioxidants and iron? Plus it has fewer calories than other types of beer, like lagers.
Try out this Chocolate Stout Cupcake to commemorate your St.Paddy’s Day!
Chocolate Stout Cupcake
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable butter
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flax to 3 tablespoons of water)
2/3 cup soy yogurt
1 cup stout beer (such as Guinness)
Chocolate Stout Frosting
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
4 tbsp stout beer (or soy milk*)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 cups confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Put in your cupcake liners in your cupcake tray.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
3. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt vegetable butter. Add cocoa powder and whisk until smooth.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, vegetable oil and flax eggs. Add cocoa-butter mixture and whisk until well-incorporated.
5. Stir in half of the flour mixture, followed by the yogurt and stout beer (beer may foam; keep stirring it in!). Stir in remaining flour mixture, stirring only until no streaks of dry ingredients remain.
6. Pour into your cupcake liners and spread into an even layer.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.
8. Allow cake to cool completely then top with your stout frosting.
9. For the frosting – beat all ingredients together until well combined, adding more confectioners’ sugar if necessary to thicken frosting to a smooth, spreadable consistency. After spreading the frosting on, put a dash of cocoa on top too if you’d like. You’re ready to celebrate!
Happy St.Paddy’s Day!