Happy April, misfits!
I totally ADORE mushrooms of all sorts – from your everyday white button and chestnut to enoki and shittake. Mushrooms have been considered a special delicacy by early civilizations as an amazing source of dietary fiber, minerals, vitamins (especially vitamin D) and polysaccharides which are linked to have cancer fighting properties.
Try out a new mushroom recipe – I’ve invented a new one for you to try out this weekend.
Rice medley stuffed field mushrooms with steamed veggies
1. Take your field mushrooms, clean and de-stem them. Chop up the stems and save them.
2. Cook your rice – preferably, soak for 4-8 hours prior. I used a medley of rice here, from brown rice, wild rice, black rice, millet, quinoa and barley.
3. Chop up a shallot, 2-3 cloves of garlic and mix with 4-5 tablespoons of rice. Lightly sautee in a frying pan. After taking off the pan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil (it’s healthier this way instead of frying), and a pinch of salt and freshly cracked pepper.
4. Stuff your mushrooms! Sprinkle some nutritional yeast on top for a nutty / cheesy flavour or for those that are non-lactose intolerant add your cheese.
5. Bake in the oven at 190C for about 30 minutes. Enjoy your finished product!